Sunday 7 March 2021

M&S Marks Spencers Gefilte Fish Balls

If you have been to Hong Kong, you might have seen these fishballs which are popular Chinese snacks.
They are usually plain or in curry sauce where you can add optional chili sauce to them.
Anyway, in the Jewish cuisine, they also have fish balls called Gefilte Fish Balls.
The M&S ones are a traditional combination of cod, haddock and matzo meal which are ready to eat hot or cold.
Different countries will use a different fish mix due to sustainability.
I was really impressed with the Gefilte Fish Balls because you could really smell the fish and it tastes of fish, the only thing I didn't like was the sweetness.
These fishballs are made with a substantial amount of fish hence the texture is similar to fishcake.
Comparing these to the Hong Kong ones, Gefilte fish balls taste much better because of the fish content while the Hong Kong ones are just bouncy and chewy as there is more proportion of flour to fish.
As well as Jewish fish balls, the Norwegian fish balls are delicious and again because it contains more fish.
Overall, I definitely recommmend these if you like fish cakes.
Rating: 4/5 









6 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous, I discovered them years ago but they seem to have disappeared lately. Temporary I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My world has been torn apart after the disappearance of these wondrous things. We need to band together and get to the bottom of our loss. Maybe some sort of task force?? Dm if interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where have these gone? M&S you are out of your minds if you have deleted these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG these were my favourite indulgence - I’d quite happily get through half a bottle of red wine and a box of these whenever I felt I deserved a treat. They seem to disappear off the shelves during lockdown and I’ve not seen them since. I’m bereft!

    ReplyDelete
  5. M&S, these were awesome and always sold out, get your head out of your collective backsides and get them made again.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...