Saturday 6 March 2021

Tripe and onions

Tripe and onions is an old fashioned war time rationed English dish which I think is super delicious if you buy the right part of tripe.
Ingredients are simple, just milk, onions and salt.
I found out about this dish from an old lady at the train station.
After she told me, I googled this and there was not much videos on this, however I did manage to find a video by Gordan Ramsey trying to get more public to try tripe.
Most of the people buying tripe in his video were over 70s, the way tripe is traditonally eaten is cooked with milk and onions or with lashings of salt and vinegar.
In other countries, you will find African tripe stew and in Asia you will find tripe curries and Spicy tripe stir fries.
If you google tripe, you will find lots of different tripe variety for cow because a cow has four stomach.
Outside UK, all tripe varieties are eaten as they probably don't want to waste anything but in the UK, I only found the blanket tripe at the supermarket.
In Chinese dishes, I have tried honeycomb tripe and book tripe which are both quite chewy while in Spanish dishes, I found honeycomb tripe in stews.
Personally, I like blanket tripe which is soft and gelatinous just like fish gas bladder.
The blanket tripe is rich in proteins and collagen.

Anyway, I decided to cook this dish as not many people are doing it.
So I did tripe and onions as well as the salt and vinegar tripe.

The salt and vinegar tripe is basically cooked tripe seasoned with salt and lashings of vinegar with optional pepper.

For the tripe and onions, I simmered some onions and tripe in milk and added some salt and optional pepper and it was delicious.
The taste is hard to explain but it was creamy and gelatinous like eating fish gas bladder.
You can also add some cream to make it even more creamier.
On the topic of fish gas bladder, I suspect that in Hong Kong they have sneakily replaced fish gas bladder by tripe to get more profit.
The tripe I got was by the REAL LANCASHIRE BLACK PUDDING found at Morrisons was brilliant because it was blanched blanket tripe which is pre cooked so it was nice and soft.








Asian tripe dishes:






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...