Friday 8 January 2021

Fresh artichokes

Through my restaurant journey, I have always come accross canned artichokes which are found in salads, risotto, as a garnish or made into dips but I have never had it fresh.
Spotted them at the market so decided to get them.
I believe the ones I bought were the spiny artichokes, other artichokes you can get are the petit violet, white globe and purple globe.
https://www.homestratosphere.com/types-of-artichokes/
According to the photos online, these artichokes were not the freshest but since I don't often come accross them I had to try it.
You can either steam or boil the artichokes.
Steaming is probably better because boiling will probably take the flavours away.
Once it is cooked, you eat from the leaves to the middle by scraping the leaves in your mouth for the meat.
When you get to the centre, you scrape away the flowery bit in the middle and you're left with the artichoke heart, the bit where restauarnts use in their dishes.
Overall, I had the artichoke plain so I really enjoyed the nutty taste, however you can dip it with mayonnaise or something creamy.



Steamed Artichokes:




Boiled Artichokes:

The fuzzy choke which you do not eat!
It must be spooned out and you will be left with the artichoke heart.

Fresh artichokes from Marks and Spencer.



Purple artichokes:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...