Monday 30 November 2020

[Review] Waitrose Cooks' Ingredients Forced Rhubarb

I love Rhubarb anything but it occurred to me that I have never had any fresh rhubarb before yet it is native to UK.
When I saw fresh Rhubarb at Waitrose, I fell in love with the shocking pink colours that were shiny and metallic.
Rhubarb is an odd vegetable that you eat for dessert.
Although it looks like celery, the structure is nothing like celery, I was surprised that once it is cooked it is soft so you don't have to remove the skin which looks stringy.




I had the rhubarb as a dessert and as a savoury dish.
The simplest dessert is rhubarb custard but since I didn't have any custard in the cupboard, I mixed a farley rusk biscuit with cashew milk and had it with rhubarb.
The taste was amazing that I had seconds.
While I was poaching the rhubarb, you get this beautiful pink liquid which you can retain to make pink custard or some pink drizzle.





For the savoury dish, I did a stew inspired by Persian cuisine.
As the rhubarb is sour, I decided to pair it with Hunza apricots which have a toffee taste and simmered everything together with finely chopped onions and chicken.
The dish was lovely but the only thing I didn't expect was the colour change because it goes brown.
If I were to make this dish again, I would add some cinammon and more Hunza apricots for a stronger sweet taste but overall I am so glad I tried fresh rhubarb.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...