Thursday 14 October 2021

Aldi West Country Mature cheese & cracked black pepper scones and All butter chocolate scones

I was unaware my favourite makers of scones are doing scones for Aldi until JSR mentioned it.
Aldi has two new scones in the range: West Country Mature cheese & cracked black pepper scones and All butter chocolate scones.
Having had too much sweet stuff lately, I tried the cheese scone first.
As soon as you open the wrapper there is a lovely cheesy smell.
Each scone is uniformly shaped.
Tried one at room temperature on its own, moist and moreish without anything because it was really cheesy with an aromatic black pepper aftertaste.
The second scone was warmed and had butter spread on.
It was light and crumbly where the black pepper flavours came out even more.
Although it became a little drier warmed up, the butter makes up for it and I feel that just butter or marmite butter would definitely be the best pairing.
However if you warm them in the microwave wrapped in kitchen towel for 10 seconds they do not go dry.
Overall, I rate these as really delicious cheesy scones and the black pepper they used was a good one because you only see a few specks but it really comes through.





The next day I tried the all butter chocolate scones.

Aldi All butter chocolate scones:
Basically you can imagine them like a chocolate cake with a scone texture.
I tried then on their own and I liked the way you get proper chocolate without being cloyingly sweet because with some chocolate products you just get the sugar and no chocolateness.
Being traditional, I paired it with thick cream and it was delicious but ideally whipped cream/squirty cream will be ideal for scone!
Will post a photo later for the squirty cream because the lightness of whipped cream goes really well with the chocolate scone, best paired with the unsweetened whipped cream from M&S.
I wouldn't say the chocolate scone is that adventurous because some makers outside of UK are doing interesting flavours some good and some weird like Seasalt chocolate, Baileys biscoff, matcha mochi, sesame red bean.
As a fan of chocolate cherry I also paired it with my favourite Tescos cherry scone and they tasted really good together because the chocolate gets complimented by the sour cherries.



Aldi chocolate scone x Tescos Cherry scone





1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...