Sunday 10 October 2021

Tudor Bakery, a traditional English bakery in Old Coulsdon

Traditional independent bakeries are getting scarce now and even more scarce in London especially central London where rents are high.
On my quest to visit as many bakeries in the past year, I have only managed to visit around 4-5 which is alarmingly low.
Finding a bakery which has cream slices is even more difficult and so far I have only found one in London.
After posting about the cream slice, I was really lucky that Mark Daws commented to say that there is one in Old Coulsdon.
The frustrating thing is that there is no social media or even Facebook to get in touch with this bakery.
The reason I would want to check out their Facebook/instagram is to see what types of bakery they do and no one has even posted anything about this place.
I have been meaning to visit this bakery but it is just off the radar meaning I would have to endure a 45 minute bus journey when there are temptations in London which is only a 10 minute journey a way.
Finally I dedicated a Saturday to visit this bakery and the reason I say dedicate is because I simply can't resist these delicious treats meaning I will be buying some.
You can't exactly be going shopping elsewhere swinging delicate cakes in your hands.
To avoid any imperfections, I took some photos before getting the bus which was fortunate because one of the pieces did get deformed but luckily the star of the show didn't.
Anyway, getting back to this amazing bakery called Tudor Bakery, I was greeted with all the familiar treats like iced buns, cream doughnuts, custard doughnuts, cookies, bakewell tarts, savoury slices, London cheesecakes and rolls etc and most importantly the Cream Slice which I have been on a quest for.
Seeing a CREAM SLICE is a rarity! When was the last time you saw a cream slice at your local bakery because you can only buy commercially made ones these days.
The cream slice is my absolute favourite because my grandma always used to get me them.
I was elated when they said it was fresh cream because it just doesn't taste the same with synthetic cream.
I ended up getting a cream slice and strawberry Danish.
The cream slice at Tudor Bakery was slightly different as it was basically the top layer with icing filled with cream and the bottom layer which had a thin layer of strawberry jam on it.
To summarize, this was the best non commercial cream slice filled with fresh cream.
I appreciate traditional bakery attire that the staff were wearing because most uniforms are quite modern these days.
This is the second bakery to wear traditional bakery uniform.
In a way, I am fortunate that I am far away other wise I could easily be back getting the cream slice and other treats too often.
The information on google maps is wrong because it says it closes at 17:30 but they close earlier.

Tudor Bakery:
248 Coulsdon Road




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...