Sunday 15 August 2021

Best Cakes, sweet treats and hot food from Godfrey's of Hornchurch

Since Percy Ingles closed last year I haven't quite found another bakery in a similar fashion.
Stumbled upon Godfreys of Hornchurch because of their cakes so had to give them ago.
Each slice was only 1.30 so I got the carrot cake and vanilla slice.
I also got a Charlotte which you don't often see around.
They are nothing like bakewells as they are filled with apple or cherry.
Both were tempting but I got the cherry even though apple would probably have been better.
The Cherry Charlotte is a filled tart that looks like a bakewell. 
Although it looks like a regular tart, it was a deep filled heavy one hence the reason why it cost 1.30. No fillings have been skimped.
I had trouble finding the Charlotte online, there were only 1 or 2 recipes so I appreciate all the choices at this bakery.
The carrot cake and vanilla slices (one with pink icing and one with white icing) were just amazing and how you would expect them to taste so I went back again and got more.
On the second visit, I got an iced donut, chocolate cake and apple cake.
The apple cake was just delicious with a lovely cinnamon and apple taste.
On a third visit, I had the iced apple donut and apricot pie, the apricot pie filling was a bit bitter and tasted like dried apricots.
The apple donut however was the star of the show, the apple filling was so crisp. 
Not only was their cakes top notch, the icing was perfect and it did not stick during the long journey back.




















For Christmas, they had a festive doughnut so I ended up getting one.
Again, it was amazing that they are willing to take on that extra expense by placing it on some baking paper so that it does not stick which also makes it picture perfect.
The doughnut was really comforting because it was so fresh and there was no oil to it.
The icing is perfect that it is not too sticky or too hard.






Another time, I was really hungry so I finally tried their hot treats as I didn't fancy food from elsewhere.
Again, it did not disappoint, the sausage bap, sausage rolls and Cornish Pasty were all comforting and still piping hot even though they were near closing.
The pastry was just right, it was flaky but not too hard or greasy.
Overall, I am stoked how good everything is.



New in is Mr Godfrey's Paradise cake.
A pastry base with a ground almond layer and filled with cherries, juicy currants and topped with sugar.
I am so glad I got this sweet treat because it was so delicious especially the fragrant almond and cherries.
The currants were ok but the texture was a bit gritty.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...