Wednesday 24 January 2024

Plant/Vegan Smoked Salmon alternative winner

I love Veganuary 2023 because this year there was smoked salmon alternatives available at the supermarket.
The first one I managed to get hold of was the Aldi Plant Menu no salmon which was really impressive I decided to try ASDA and Squeaky Bean for comparison.
The Aldi Plant Menu won me from the start.
Although, they could be from the same manufacturer with the same ingredients, they are very different in taste because they are made to each supermarket/brands requirement.
I liked the way you can buy them as slices rather than in sandwiches because you get to appreciate the taste and can eat it however you want.
I felt that it is just as pricy as salmon so I am not sure if this is to level up with salmon or the costs to make this product just like lab diamonds and real diamonds.
At first, I thought this salmon alternative was going to be the same as the vegan konjac salmon sashimi but it was a million times better.
With the Aldi one, as soon as I opened the pack, the smell was promising as you get that smoked salmon smell.
Touching it with my fingers, it was impressive as it truly felt like salmon your fingers will get slightly greasy just like touching salmon without any fishiness.
Trying it on its own, the taste was bang on and it didn't really need any other seasonings or flavours.
If you add dill and lemon juice, it is just like having the cured salmon at IKEA.
It was just as delicious on baguette so if I closed my eyes I would have thought it was salmon although there is a slight aftertaste if you eat too much.
The texture is just like salmon which melts in your mouth and a slight resistance like jelly.
Visually the only giveaway is the uniformity and the square slice because you can't get salmon like that.
Second best was Squeaky Bean which was close but on the sweet side.
Last was ASDA because it was too smokey, salty and sweet but ok when eaten with a bagel for example.
I'm not vegan but it is interesting trying these like molecular gastronomy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...