Sunday 4 July 2021

Polish Watermelon cake (Ciasto Arbuzowe Pub)

Finally I forked out on my first piece of Polish Cake!
Everytime I visit Polish shops they always have these captvating cakes in the cabinet and it seems they sell fast because I see different cakes on every visit.
There are some cakes you see once and never again but there are some regular flavours like poppyseed cake.
There isn't any English labels so you have to ask or learn Polish.
What held me back was the price, they are sold by weight.
The problem is that each piece is such a huge slab (aprox 10cm x 12cm and 9cm tall) which means I have to finish it off over three times when there are so much other things I want to try.
Anyway, on this visit, I spotted this pretty red jelly cake which I assumed was strawberry but after asking them they said it was watermelon which is one that you don't often see.
Since it was someone's birthday I decided to get a slab which meant I could try it as well.
The slab of cake cost me around £3.94 (£7.94/kg).
I'm not a watermelon fan but I got it to see how it compares to the famous Auz Black Star Pastry Watermelon cake which costs around £7 for a quarter of my slab!
The Black Star Pastry version is layered with almond dacquoise, rose-scented cream and watermelon, and topped with strawberries, pistachios and dried rose petals.
The Polish version is not as swanky but it was nice without rose-scented cream because I hate rose-scented anything.
To be honest, the Polish version actually tasted better with a nice sponge base but it was a bit dry, then there was a layer of strawberry jelly with watermelon chunks, topped with a thin layer of synthetic cream and aromatic coconut and almonds on top.
The cake, jelly and coconut tasted really good together.
Unfortunately, I was a bit ambitious and sliced myself half the slab while my guest who is not a sweet person took half the size of mine.
It started off so good but halfway through it got too heavy but no doubt it was a delicious cake but it was just too much in one go.
To summarize, I have more confidence in Polish cakes than Chinese cakes pretending to Western as they look the part laced with waxy synthethic cream and overly sweet weird sponge that has a weird texture.
Rating: 4/5


Other cakes spotted:








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...