Sunday 19 December 2021

Omnipork strips and mince

Omnipork is a famous plant based alternative for pork which is rising popularity all over Asia with it being used in dumplings, mince dishes etc.
You can now get them in the UK at selected Sainsburys stores.

I got a free sample to redeem by registering for their newsletter.
Before I went, it was hard deciding between the mince and the strips but when I got there, they only had the mince which I redeemed with the coupon.
While I was at the store, I discovered the strips were reduced so I bought them as well and ended up trying both.

I have only tried omni products at the restaurants so it was good trying recipes myself.
The mince is quite sticky so you have to use a spoon and scrape it all out as some gets stuck but due to the stickiness, it makes it ideal for making patties or fillings.
Before I did anything, I cooked both of the products without seasoning to see if there was any basic flavour in it.
The mince tasted a bit beany while the strips were tastier with a light bacon taste.

For the mince, I followed the recipe on the pack and made mapo tofu as well as meat patties which worked out really nicely.
I felt that it was best not to cook the mince too long because it will become chewy, same applies to the strips.







The strips were served in a bun as suggested and I cooked the strips with miso barley for a nice punchy flavour.
Overall, I was really impressed with the taste.
 

I was really fortunate to get a physical coupon sent to me to try a pack of omnipork because it was such a task to redeem it.
With the existing redemption, you had to physically print it but there was a download involved.
There is also a real difficulty when asking a friend to print this because they have to "Accept the download" which is harmless according to the info but just for a simple coupon why is this needed.
It would be great if they could send a digital coupon as everything is going online these days.
After emailing Omnifoods, they were superb at following up the situation as they posted me a coupon which you just scan at Sainsburys and it was fuss free.




Chinese packaging:
新豬肉(純植物肉碎)/ Omnimince

新肉絲(純植物肉絲) / Omni strips




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...