Friday 12 November 2021

Gentleman's Relish (Patum Peperium)

On my usual supermarket trips, I spotted this unusual pot which held anchovy paste inside called the Gentleman's Relish (Patum Peperium).
I have been meaning to get it but it was quite pricey so as soon as it was reduced to 1.50 to clear I bought it.
The expiry date is well beyond so it could be a sign it is not doing well as you don't find this at other supermarkets but only on amazon.
Basically, it is really salty as you can imagine hence it says use sparingly so I believe this tub is going to last for ages.
The colour and smell was like crab tomalley with a salty kick and tastes wonderful on toast.
It is salty and fishy but it wasn't peppery like the name suggests but you either hate it or love it like marmite.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...