Tuesday 8 December 2020

[Review] M&S Marks and Spencers Bread Sauce Mix, Made without and Fresh bread sauce version

Bread sauce has not been mentioned much but it deserves just as much attention as sage and onion stuffing.
It is another vital element in roast dinners which I think more and more restaurants should serve so that people are reminded of this classic English sauce.
As Christmas is coming, you will find bread sauce mix and fresh bread sauce at the supermarket.

Bread sauce is made of milk and onion with breadcrumbs and butter added as thickeners, seasoned with nutmeg, clove, bay leaf, pepper, and salt.
So far, I have only tried the bread sauce mix by M&S and I feel that the mix and fresh bread sauce would taste different because of the onions.
The bread sauce mix uses dehydrated onions which give it a crisp and strong onion flavours whereas for fresh bread sauce the onion would give it a sweet note.

Overall, bread sauce is a must with roast turkey and chicken because the thick sauce compliments it nicely just like sage and onion.
The thick sauce works with dry turkey while the salt and spices wrap together in your mouth to become flavourful.
If that isn't enough, there is cranberry sauce to give it another dimension as well as gravy.
Enough said, I'm hungry for roast again!







Fresh Bread sauce


As I really liked the bread sauce mix, I got the ready to serve version at M&S which was gluten free.
As expected the onions were not that prominent for the ready to eat bread sauce but on the contrary you could taste the cloves and nutmeg better.







Regular BREAD SAUCE:
I love bread sauce that much that I just had to try the regular to see if there was any difference in taste as well as consistency.
Strangely, I found it too rich and milky for my liking so to conclude the Bread Sauce mix and gluten free version are my favourites.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...